Soft gadget

Free software and free web resource. Workplace, vitual office and social software links

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/archive/2007/05/21/1010621.aspx

The Case of the Unknown Autostart

A few weeks ago I installed an update to a popular Internet Explorer media-player ActiveX control on one of my systems. I knew from past experience that the plugin’s updates always configure an autostart, (an executable configured to automatically launch during boot, login or with another process) that I don’t believe serves any useful purpose, so as I had in the past, I launched Sysinternals Autoruns, set both Verify Code Signatures and Hide Signed Microsoft Entries in the options menu, pressed Refresh, found the autostart and deleted it. However, as I was about to close the window another entry caught my eye and caused my heart to stop:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home